Friday, August 20, 2010

Forest Service

Here in Idaho Falls we have a USFS/BLM office.  The whole time I have lived here I have wanted to go inside and see what kind of resources they have available, mostly in the way of maps.  So, the other day I had some free time while out running errands and stopped in.  This office covers all of Eastern/North Central Idaho, and the Greater Yellowstone area, including Western Wyoming (Tetons).  Needless to say, they had maps for every region with in a 4 hour drive of Idaho Falls. 

I purchased 4 BLM maps with for the region west of the Teton Range.  The maps were $8.75 each and you can pay with credit card.  These maps are the quintessential topo maps.  Very clear to read, great detail, and all the info you would need to find your way out of a wilderness area.  Because these maps are printed on plain white paper I made sure to get a protective, waterproof pouch for them.

The office had other maps that were made by 3rd parties as well.  I bought the National Geographic map of Yellowstone Park.  I like using these maps for well established trails.  They provide topographical lines as well as other landmarks.  Another reason I like getting the National Geo maps, they are water proof and tear resistant. 

The nice lady that helped me with my maps also gave me a card with the web address for downloading maps.  If you go here it will take you to the regional website for the USFS (the region includes Utah, Nevada, Southern Idaho, and Western Wyoming).  Not all the regions have down loadable maps, but the Caribou-Targhee Region site does have a bunch of maps to download for free.  These maps aren't always as clear and detailed as the maps that you can buy, but who can beat free, especially when you don't plan to leave the trail anyways.

If you have a USFS office in your area, I suggest visiting it.  Not only does it give you great access to maps, but there is tone of other info that is great to have, especially when visiting the back country.

No comments:

Post a Comment