Saturday, April 6, 2013

Trail report: Mailbox Peak

A few months ago I posted about being in a new place and having new chances to explore.  Well, since that time I haven't spent any time on any trails in my new location of North Western Idaho.  All my hikes have been best West of the Cascades closer to my hometown of Renton, WA.
This zoomed in picture of my brother, climbing a snow covered
rock field, does not do justice to the steep grade.
This hike near North Bend, WA. has been on the bucket list of day hikes for a while.  It is often talked about by family and friends, but no one had seemed to have tackled it yet.  When I told my brother I was coming home for the weekend and wanted to hit up a trail we chose this one.  Not sure if I was up for a hike, that I heard was the killer of killer hikes, I got onto the Washington Trails Association website to really see what I was getting myself into.  The reviews all made comment of the fast elevation gain, from 820 feet to 4,841 feet in 2.5 miles.  Some resent posts warned of ice and snow on the trail that could cause a dangerous situation.  Others praised the novelty of the mailbox at the summit and the great view that makes the strenuous climb well worth it.
At the summit.
All expectations were met.  It was a hard climb to the top.  An even rougher climb down (imagine leg muscles burning while climbing, well leg joints were crashing for the reverse route).  The mailbox was present.  Snow and ice near the top made for a slow going and slippery ascent and and even more dangerous descent.  However, all that was almost forgotten while sitting at the summit.  The views were amazing.  The clouds hung out just above the peaks of the central cascades.  The 360 degree views were inspiring.  This is probably the most western peak in the Snoqualmie area that allows for such great views in all directions.  From Seattle and beyond to the peaks surrounding Snoqualmie Pass (and Rainier on a clear day), you can pick out land marks from all over the Puget Sound region.
I highly recommend this hike.  There is a new "easier" trail being put in that will be 5 miles to the summit.  So if you don't feel up to the challenge of this classic Seattle area route, then just wait a couple months for the new trail to open.

Difficulty: Extreme
Fees:  Discovery Pass required
Directions:  See the Washington Trails Association website for more details on the trail and directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment