Sunday, August 29, 2010

Couple Quick Updates...

Came across a couple web sites today and thought I would make y'all (oh no, I'm becoming Idaho) aware.  I haven't really practiced knots since my Boy Scout days, and I got my eagle at16 so haven't done much since then.  iwillknot.com is a great refresher for those most useful and common knots.  The second site is netknots.com, a much more comprehensive site with hundreds of knots.  I like this sight because it have various types of knots, fishing, outdoors, sailing...


Finished my Idaho hunting courses yesterday.  Went to Wal-Mart straight away and got my license.  Not sure what I'm going to hunt this year yet.  My brother-in-law, who is kinda my local guide, drew a cow elk tag this year and there is no general hunt in the same region.  We have talked about getting a general deer tag together.  I would like to bag an elk for the meat.  An entire elk would provide enough red meat to last the family an entire year, plus it is way healthier than beef.

There is a new movie coming out.  Danny Boyle (great director) is directing James Franco in "127 hours".  You might recall the guy who fell into a canyon and had his arm stuck under a large boulder.  He eventually had to drink his own pee and cut his arm off to save his own life.  (TIP of the DAY: DON'T HIKE ALONE.)  If you remember this story you are probably going to be as excited as I am to see this film.  It hits theaters November 5th.

Last but not least...
I am taking the family camping in Yellowstone next Sunday.  I was about to get Labor Day off and so we are taking our sole camping trip as a family.  This isn't going to be a serious outing by any means.  We are staying at the Grant Village, were that have over 200 camping sites.  Hopefully we will be able to take a short hike to riddle lake and get from some of the crowds.  Also I have never been to the West Thumb Geyser Basin, and it is right next to Grant Village, looking forward to that as well.
UPDATE !!! 9/7/10 Sunday morning we drove up to Yellowstone through Jackson, Wyoming.  Not even to Jackson before my son, Benton, throws up in the car and makes a mess.  Hoping he is just car sick, we continue, making a couple of stops in the Teton National Park.  Made a stop on Mormon Row, the famous barn that everyone gets pics of.  And saw a couple herd of Bison.  Then made it to Yellowstone early afternoon.  We went straight to the campsite and set up the tent and rolled out the sleeping bags.  After hitting up a couple spots in the park we came back to the tent.  The moment Benton's head hit the pillow he threw up again, almost getting my sleeping bag.  By now his fever was high and we contemplated going home.  I wanted to stick it out as long as possible, Benton was still having fun and we did get him some fever reducing meds, so maybe things would be alright.  I was wrong.  At 7:30, as I was heating up water and got the tent heater started up, it started to snow.  At first I still wanted to hold out, this was after all our only family camping trip this year.  But the snow got worse and Benton started to shake and we packed up the gear.  Driving through the park at night with cold temps brought a new element.  The thermal features were all steaming up the roads as we past by at dusk.  While things didn't go as planned, it definitely wasn't a wasted trip.

Rest assured there will be updates on my hunting, camping, and movie watching as the events come to pass.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you camping trip got cut short. So glad B is okay though. Kid's they just don't like to cooperate some times. Looking forward to your report on your upcoming hike. Hope you don't kill the old man. :)

    ReplyDelete