Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Trail Report: Pinnacle Peak

Monday I didn't have any work and the weather in Western Washington was amazing.  60+ degrees for a week in February doesn't happen very often.  I had one day to use the good fortune, that was spread through out the region, on a trail.  I was looking for something fairly short and simple.  Nothing too taxing or very secluded (my wife doesn't like me hiking alone).  So to make my decision easier I jumped onto the King County Natural Resources and Parks site and started looking for trails.  I had done the Cougar Mountain trail and have done other trails on that hill, it didn't really interest me.  I found one in Enumclaw.  It promised views of Mt. Rainier on the site so I decided it would be worth the drive to get there.  The location was a bit farther than I wanted but the trail seemed to intrigue me.  It is a short trail, only about a mile, but it is strenuous.  
From the pull off at the side of the road, were a dozen or more cars were parked, you start up on switch backs.  The climb is 1,000ft. in a mile.  I didn't drink enough water that morning, and started cramping, but was glad to have the work out.  Being the day after the Super Bowl I was also blaming all the junk food I had eaten the day before.  However, the weather was perfect, and the trail is almost completely covered by the canopy of old Fir and Cedar trees, meaning shade.  While the work out was worth it, the view was not.  If there ever was a view it is now obstructed by too many trees growing too tall.  You get glimpses of the valley floor as you climb but the summit has no view at all.
Though it made for a safe location to 'solo hike' (I use the term loosely), I don't see any reason for me to return.  If I lived within 5 miles of the hill that sticks up out of the valley like a thumb I would hike it all the time.  I don't, and therefore I won't.


 
View Pinnacle Peak, Enumclaw Wa in a larger map

Directions:  Use the map for directions, However there are two trail heads.  The second is on the south side of the hill that starts up a private road.

Fees: None, this one is a county park.

Difficulty Moderate-Difficult (however short)

No comments:

Post a Comment