Saturday, March 3, 2012

DIY: Pocket Stove Wind Screen

There are many DIY projects out there that can improve the comfort and function of your camp.  Last summer when in the Yellowstone backcountry for three days I ran out of fuel near the last night.  The only form of water purification we had been using was to boil our water, this was due to filter failures.  It would have been great if there was a way to keep our one large can of fuel going for an extra few minutes of burn time.  
My idea isn't a new one.  The product isn't a new one.  However I have decided a few ounces of foil tape ($3.50 at local hardware store) are a small price to pay for increased fuel efficiency on my stove.  The idea is that the screen blocks wind from blowing the concentrated flame off your pot or pan.  Thus allowing more heat where it is meant, under the pot and on your food or water.
To construct the wind screen I used one roll of reflective tape found in the roofing section of the hardware store.  I started by measuring the diameter I needed cut pieces to length.  I then stacked the pieces over lapping about 1/4".  This created a one layered flat large piece of tape (at this point one side is exposed adhesive).  I then cut the same amount of pieces and put them (adhesive side) down on the existing piece.  This gave me a double thick piece of foil.  For reinforcement there is an extra piece folded over the top and bottom.  I then connected the ends with about an inch of over lap and taped then all the way around.  As you can see the height of the wind block is just higher than the stove, allowing you to monitor the flame, but still keeps the majority of wind out.  It also allows for venting air.
Now you won't want to forget about the adjustment on the side of the stove.  I chose the location for this after building the screen so that I would get a perfect height for the hole.  My hole is two inches in diameter, allowing for a thumb and finger in to turn the handle.  When using the stove with the screen you will want to keep this hole down wind.
So if you have a simple stove and want to save yourself $15+ this a great project that only takes a few minutes of your time.  The screen can fold up into your bear can or mess kit and should last a while, depending on how careful you are with it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I've seen wind screens for stoves that aren't connected directly to the gas canister, but never for those that are. I've heard that you increase the potential over overheating (and possible explosion) of the canister when using a wind screen with this set up, but I'm sure that if you have enough ventilation for the heat to escape it would be fine.
    Looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete