Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Gear Review: REI Revecloud Jacket

Image via REI.com
I picked this up at REI the other day.  I had been looking at a down/synthetic jacket for a few months now.  I wanted one in the sweater style like the revecloud.  This particular jacket is stuffed with a synthetic material called Primaloft, a tried and true polyester material used for jackets and sleeping bags.  It is the last in my arsinal against cold.  The sweater style is thin enough to fit under a hard shell and still provide plenty of warmth.
I chose to go with a synthetic fill for a couple of reasons.  The first reason is true to almost all products that use down or synthetics, price.  This jacket is anywhere from $25-$75 less expensive than the least expensive down sweater of comparable quality.  I picked it up on clearance making it an even easier decision to go with synthetic.  The other reason I prefer synthetic in this application is the fact that most down jackets loose feathers.  Over a number of years the down will loose lift, in general synthetics don't have this problem.  The final reason and possibly most important reason for choosing this jacket is of course the fact that I look good in it.  This means I don't have to reserve use to the trail.  I can sport this coat around town and feel nice and toasty while doing it.
So how does it perform?  I think pretty well.  In the store I got really toasty, after only a few seconds, while trying on the jacket.  It works well in the elements too.  In moderate temperatures it is almost too much.  I started a fairly simple eight mile hike to the summit of Tiger Mountain with it on and had to quickly resign it to my pack.
I'll be very honest, this is not a jacket for sub zero temps.  However I would use it in winter camping situations where temperatures don't dip too far below freezing.  This style of jacket works well with whatever layering system you have in place.  There is plenty of room under it to slide in a couple of base layers, and it is tight enough to put your hard shell or even a large snow jacket on over.  In my eyes the perfect style.  It is also great for backcountry applications.  It even comes with a stuff sack for easy packing.
Where to buy: REI.com
Regular Price: $149

1 comment:

  1. Good looking jacket! I like that it isn't as puffy as a down jacket, and that you could put a water-proof shell on top of it with ease - something my down jacket makes difficult. A down jacket can still last forever though as long as you treat it right. Feathers poking through the jacket show poor craftsmanship and quality since the down isn't really the feather itself, but is found underneath the feather. I have heard that if people pull the feathers that are sticking out of their jackets instead of slowly working them back in, it will create bigger holes and they will then lose even more material.
    One thing I have learned from you and now firmly believe: you can never have too many jackets!

    ReplyDelete