Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bear Spray

I came across an article of a man in Washington that allegedly assaulted a police officer with a can of bear spray.  Franklin was pulled over for not having registration tabs on his license plates.  After giving the officer two false name the officer tried to arrest Franklin.  That is when he pulled out his 32oz. bear spray can and let loose on the officer.  The article is found here.
I have been hearing more and more cases of people using bear spray on human counter parts.  Just a few weeks ago I heard about a man spraying his girlfriend in Utah, during a fight.  If you google similar stories you will come across quite a few of these types of reports.
I am a little confused by this.  Everyone I know that uses bear spray is using it for back country hiking in bear territory.  I always take it with me to Yellowstone and the Tetons.  Bear spray, in general, is more expensive than regular pepper spray, also much bulkier. 
An interesting thing I have learned since researching bear spray for use on the trail is that it is more affective than a pistol for deterring a bear.  Apparently bears aren't really phased by 10, 9mm, rounds to the body.  You have to also keep in mind that pepper spray probably won't put down a bear, in fact it'll probably make it more mad.  It does, however, allow you the time to get away to a safe distance.  Make sure to try and spray it down wind so it doesn't come back into your own face (totally easy to remember when a bear is charging you, right).
Most national parks that have any bear activity require bear spray to be carried on over night hiking trips.  Yellowstone, being one of the most visited parks, is very well known for bear activity and has a great page for bear safety.

2 comments:

  1. Love it:) I read the story about the guy in Utah using bear spray on his girlfriend. Why??? If you are going to get charged with assault, why would you go for the bear spray? I think he was just anxious to use it and got sick of waiting to see a bear:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that it was almost expired and he needed to use it...

    ReplyDelete