Monday, November 4, 2013

Camping With Kids: What's The Big Deal?

As I cruse the internets in search of new gear or new ideas to make trips to the woods better I continually find articles on how to make camping with kids easier.  A lot of these come from Pinterest.  Don't get me wrong, I love the 'Outdoors' board on Pinterest.  I will also admit that there are many people that aren't as into camping as I am.  However that is part of the problem I have with these blogs and sites that have tips for camping with kids.
My first born on his first camping trip at 4 months old.
He loved it then, and loves it more now.
You shouldn't need tips for taking your kids outside.  Just get them out there.  Sometimes you might struggle. Trust that your kids are going to get dirty, wet, and maybe cold.  However, they are going to love it.  You will learn what they like about it and or don't.  You will figure out your own tips for making future trips successful.  Otherwise all you are doing is making your trip to the outdoors feel more and more like being indoors.
I don't have any tips for taking your kids camping.  I would suggest, however, that you start taking your kids with you as soon as possible.
My son camping this summer.  He loves having his own gear.
I have an old friend that went camping for the first time with his kids last summer.  They were 3 and 1-1/2 years old.  Some might think that is pretty young to take children out into the woods.  However his kids hated it.  His infant son cried the entire time, just for being outside.  It got so bad that he eventually packed everything up and headed to a hotel.  Once indoors his son calmed down and they could finish their family trip in relative peace.
Knowing that I go camping a lot he asked what I could suggest to help him for next time.  All I suggested was getting his kids out more.  If an infant is already trained to feel uncomfortable in the outdoors then why would that get better with out more and more conditioning to the outdoors.
So, don't wait to go out with your kids.  Don't hesitate to treat them to the medicine of our crazy world.  Take your kid out into the fresh pine scented air as soon as their lungs are strong enough to breath it.


No comments:

Post a Comment