Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Big Knife vs. Little Knife Gerber Paraframe Review

I have come across a lot of blog posts and forums recently where people are debating the use of knives on the trail.  Many of the super light weight enthusiasts believe that no knife is the way to go.  Others keep there 5" blades strapped to their legs.  I think a knife is a must, and if you don't have a knife in the back country you are nuts.  I follow the line of thinking of many survival experts; that a knife is the most important tool after your brain while in a survival situation.
I understand that when on a trail the likelihood of getting lost and put into a survival situation isn't very high.  So instead of the huge knife wrapped around your thigh I just bring along my pocket knife.
Normally I bring along my everyday carry knife.  I did use the Columbia River Rainier.   It has a 2.8" folding blade and awesome grip.  the clip is very strong and Columbia River makes great blades.  It has a combo blade (the lower half is serrated).  This knife has a special locking mechanism so that you can never accidentally close the knife on yourself.  I have had this knife for just over three years and use if everyday.  It has been beat up and the blade just now has started to show wear.  For the price set (around $30.00 retail) the knife has performed perfectly.
I though my Columbia River was the perfect knife for everyday carry and trail/camp use.  That is, until I got  a new knife for Christmas this year.  My friend Zach has been talking about the Gerber Para-frame Mini.  He sent me one for Christmas and I think I have changed my mind on what the perfect everyday/trail knife should be.  The blade itself is only 2", the total length length is only 3", just .2" over the length of the Columbia River blade.  This makes the knife lighter and less noticeable when clipped in the pocket.  I can hardly tell it is clipped in my jeans pockets when carrying it.  Because it is very slim I don't have to adjust it in my pocket when laying on the floor on my side.  At first I was concerned that because it was harder to notice in my pocket I might not notice if it unclipped and fell out of my pocket.  This is not a concern however.  The clip is super strong, to a fault almost.  It is sometimes hard to clip to my jeans.  There is no way this knife is going to fall out on its own.  Not that it helps the performance in any way, but the design is pretty cool.  (There are two other versions of the Para-frame from Gerber in larger sizes).
After only a couple of days I have retired my knife of choice for the smaller, slimmer option.  On the trail a knife is a must, but this new Gerber Para-frame I have is just enough to get almost any job done.
I have yet to know how the blade will hold up and for that fact I give this knife 3 3/4 stars for now.  It will have to earn my trust for long term strength and construction.
Thanks Zach.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like I'll definitely have to get one for myself now!!!! I love the larger version already, but since you were willing to retire your knife you have been carrying for three years, I better give the smaller version a shot as well

    ReplyDelete